U Sports recap (5): Dinos steal homecoming glory, Western continues to roll opponents

For all your recruiting and player news, we’ve got you covered with the most in-depth analysis and insider information you’ll find in Canada.

As a CFC INSIDER member, you will have access to:

Become a CFC Insider MEMBER today!

[button link=”https://canadafootballchat.com/cfc-memberships/” icon=”check” bg_color=”#ac2a29″]SUBSCRIBE NOW[/button]

Friday, Sept 21

Acadia , SMU

HALIFAX, N.S. — The fourth-year quarterback Kaleb Scott from Mount Albert, ON powered the U SPORTS No. 7 ranked Saint Mary’s Huskies to a 26-16 victory on Friday evening over the visiting Acadia Axemen from Huskies Stadium. 

Scott’s 229 passing yards found nine different receivers, as third-year wideout Lerone Robinson (Vancouver, BC) led the pack with seven catches for 89 yards. 

Scott also paced the Huskies running the ball with 53 yards on five rushes, as Saint Mary‘s running game found a stingy Acadia defense, who finished with five sacks and had 12 tackles for a loss. 

Acadia led 3-2 after 10 minutes on a 22-yard field goal from Jarrett Saumure (Timberlea, NS) and gave up a team safety to SMU. 

Running back Jericho Daher (Mount Albert, Ont.) found the end zone on a 2-yard plunge for Saint Mary’s capping off a seven play, 75-yard drive with 12:47 left in the 2nd quarter as SMU made the 2-point try for a 10-3 lead. 

Acadia managed a rouge point and Saint Mary’s gave up a team safety and saw their cushion shrink to 10-6 with 3:50 left in the half. 

Brian Hope (Port Coquitlam, BC) added a 13-yard field goal as SMU drove the ball 61 yards on six plays, ending the half 13-6. 

SMU’s Rick LeMoignan (Edmonton, AB) opened the second-half scoring with a 15-yard catch from Scott and Hope added a 20-yard field goal as the Huskies led 23-6 after three quarters. 

Saint Mary’s gave up a team safety early in the fourth quarter and a late Axemen touchdown pass from Hunter Guenard (Calgary, AB) to Glodin Mulali (Moncton, NB) saw Acadia trailing SMU 23-15 with 2:28 left in the game. 

Hope‘s third field goal of the game—this time from 22-yards out—sealed the victory for the Huskies.  

Acadia added a rouge point as time expired and Saint Mary’s held onto the 26-16 victory. 

Saint Mary’s improves to 4-0 in Atlantic University Sport while Acadia drops to 2-2. 

Both teams face the 2-1 StFX X-Men next, with the Huskies hitting the road September 29th while Acadia hosts the X-Men coming off their bye-week October 5th.

Regina (2-2) 20 , Saskatchewan (3-1) 33

Game Recap: Matt Johnson, Huskie Athletics
Box Score

SASKATOON – A dominant first-half performance from the University of Saskatchewan Huskie football team paved the way, as they defeated their provincial rival Regina Rams 33-20, at Griffiths Stadium inside Nutrien Park in Saskatoon, SK. on Sept. 21.

The battle of Saskatchewan didn’t disappoint, as the matchup featuring two of the nation’s top ten ranked programs came down to the wire.

“This is an incredibly competitive conference top-to-bottom and I told the guys right after the game that this is why I love this game. I’m so proud of the way we fought,” Huskie head coach Scott Flory said.

The win gives Saskatchewan sole possession of second place in the conference with a record of 3-1 while the Rams drop to 2-2 on the season.

The Huskies were led by fifth-year quarterback Kyle Siemens who continued to build on his impressive final season in the green and white, as he threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns on 23-33 passing. Colton Klassen was the top receiver for Saskatchewan, recording six receptions for 99 yards and two touchdowns, in just one half of action.

Ben Whiting led the way for the Huskies defensively, as the fourth-year linebacker racked up 9.5 total tackles. Meanwhile, fellow linebacker Jacob Solie’s pick-six at the tail end of the first half proved to be pivotal in the victory.

For the Rams, Noah Picton struggled to operate against a strong Saskatchewan front, finishing with 271 yards on 21-34 passing but also throwing three interceptions in the contest.

Second-year running back Kyle Borsa thrived without the presence of Canada West All-Star Atlee Simon in the backfield, as Borsa ran for 102 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries.

A Huskies two-and-out on the opening drive of the ball game allowed Picton to go to work on the Rams very first drive. Receptions from Daniel Scraper, Kyle Moortgat, and Ryan Schienbein helped the Rams march down the field all the way to Huskie goal line. However, Josh Hagerty and Saskatchewan stood strong as the second-year safety intercepted Picton in the end zone.

Zach Moore returned the favour on the very next drive, intercepting a pass from Siemens. With the Rams back in possession, Picton spotted rookie receiver Bennett Stusek, who hauled in an incredible 41-yard reception. The grab set up an 11-yard field goal from Aldo Galvan, which put the Rams up 3-0.

The Huskies were quick to respond with a red zone appearance of their own after a 21-yard carry from Adam Machart was followed by a 25-yard Klassen reception. Siemens was quick to go back to his favorite target as he connected with Klassen once again on a beautiful back-shoulder ball, which Klassen brought in for his fifth receiving touchdown of 2018.

Soon after a Regina punt presented Saskatchewan with tremendous field position, and the Huskies went right to work. Siemens laid it out for Klassen who adjusted well to reel in an incredible 35-yard catch on the go-route. On second and six from the Regina 12, Siemens sensed the pressure but rolled out of the pocket and connected with a streaking Klassen for his second touchdown of the night.

With under a minute left in the half and the Rams threatening, Picton was looking for Stusek again. However, first-year cornerback Charlie Ringland got his hand on the pass, which popped the ball up into the air and into the waiting arms of Solie. The third-year linebacker received exceptional blocking as he hugged the sideline and rumbled 64 yards into the end zone. The pick-six marked 21 unanswered points for the Huskies after the opening 3-0 deficit, a lead which they took into halftime.

“I was just able to get under it and make the interception. It was easy from there, all of my guys were blocking downfield and they were able to give me holes to run through,” Solie said.

The Huskies defence was the story of the first half as their defensive line was able to put consistent pressure on the 2016 Hec Creighton Winner, sacking Picton four times and forcing two interceptions.

After the Rams opening drive of the second half resulted in a punt, the Huskies responded with a 13-play-75-yard drive which ended in pay dirt, as Siemens stood in the pocket long enough on second and goal from the eight-yard line, resulting in Kuntz getting open in the end zone and scoring his first touchdown as a member of the Huskies.

However, the Rams refused to back down against their provincial rivals. On the ensuing kick-off Borsa turned it into high-gear and ran the ball 52 yards inside Huskies territory. Back-to-back Moortgart receptions of 20 and 15 yards set Regina up at the two-yard line and from there Borsa finished what he started as he punched in the major, the first of the night for the Rams, trimming the deficit to 20.

The Rams offence got right back on the field after a Huskies punt, when they began the drive from the Saskatchewan 49-yard line. Picton went back to Moortgart for another two completions of 13 and 26 yards, but this time they were unable to find the end zone, settling for Galvan connecting on his second field goal of the night, making the score 30-13.

After a second-consecutive Saskatchewan drive ending in a punt, the Rams got within ten after Borsa put his breakaway speed on display, with the second-year back sprinting 27 yards through the middle of the field for the major.

An Adam Machart fumble, which was recovered by Regina linebacker Danny Nesbitt, gave the Rams an opportunity to continue their burst of momentum. A 31-yard Borsa dash was followed by a 15-yard unnecessary-roughness penalty, setting the Rams back up inside the red zone.

However, on 1st and goal from the Saskatchewan 7-yard line, Picton dropped back to pass looking for Schienbein on a drag across the middle of the field, but Huskies defensive-linemen Eric Thakurdeen got his hand in the way and Bowan Lewis made a tremendous play on the tipped ball, intercepting Picton’s throw in the end zone and stopping the Rams in their tracks.

Saskatchewan took over from their own 20-yard line and proceeded to answer with a lengthy 8-play 72-yard drive which was capped by a 26-yard Sean Stenger field goal making it a 33-20 ball game, but perhaps, more importantly, killing 4:31 off the clock.

Huskie head coach Scott Flory was thrilled with his team’s performance.

“I’m so proud of the way we fought, clawed and scratched. Through the highs and lows we just kept playing and made enough plays to get the win,” Flory said.

Siemens credited his offensive line play in the victory and believed they were crucial in getting things going for his offence.

“Our offensive-line and run game has been stellar all year and the whole team feeds off of those guys. We ran the ball well which gave us confidence early and then we started making plays,” Siemens said.

In week five, Saskatchewan will travel west to Calgary on Sept. 29 with their eyes set on redemption, as they will take on the Dinos for their second meeting in three weeks against the number two ranked team in the nation who defeated the Huskies 37-28 in their last meeting.

Meanwhile, Regina will also take their team on the road, as they head east to battle the Bisons. Manitoba is fresh off back-to-back victories and will aim to make it three consecutive wins when the Rams come to town on Sept. 29.

Manitoba (2-2) 37, Alberta (0-4) 27

Game Recap: John Gaudes, Bison Sports
Box Score

A week ago at Investors Group Field, it was a fourth quarter to remember for the Manitoba Bisons, as receiver Dylan Schrotscored 14 points in 2:30 to beat the Alberta Golden Bears.

This week, facing a hungry Alberta team once again, the Bisons found more late game magic — ripping off 14 points in the last 2:21 to beat Alberta, 37-27.

The win moves Manitoba to 2-2 on the season, with both wins coming against the Golden Bears in the last two weeks. Alberta falls to 0-4 with the loss.

“It was a crazy game, and I’ll be honest, I thought the University of Alberta did more right things than we did, and we were fortunate to win the game,” said Bisons head coach Brian Dobie.

Coming into the fourth quarter leading 22-13, the Bisons quickly found themselves scrambling against the home team. Alberta scored midway through the quarter on a Brad Launhardt touchdown run, getting them within two points. Launhardt, starting in place of Week 1 to 3 starter Brad Baker, totaled 243 yards and an interception on 12-for-35 passing in the loss.

Quickly on the heels of that play, fourth-year Ben Kopczynski ran a punt return back 50 yards to the house for another score. All of a sudden, it was 27-22 Alberta with 5:36 left.

“Alberta wouldn’t fold. They didn’t quit. And then they responded and started taking over the game. It was their game to win, and we had to find a way to escape,” said Dobie.

That’s when Manitoba dug in for some poise to finish the game. On the following drive, second-year running back Victor St. Pierre-Laviolette — up one in the depth chart with Jamel Lyles out — scampered 42 yards on two carries to get the Bisons into the red zone. From there, Des Catellier connected with Trysten Dyce for Dyce’s second receiving touchdown of the game to give Manitoba the lead back.

After a couple Alberta penalties stopped their ensuing drive short, the Bisons put the game on ice. St. Pierre-Laviolette got the ball and took it 51 yards to the house off a jump cut, giving the game its final score: 37-27.

St. Pierre-Laviolette, a native of Brandon, Manitoba, ended up with an enviable stat line of 133 yards and a touchdown on ten carries. Also helping in Lyles’ absence was Somto Anyadike, who had 46 yards on 11 carries. The two youngsters helped Manitoba get a season-high seven yards per carry on the night.

At the receiver position, fifth-year Dylan Schrot didn’t get into the end zone, but still hit triple digits with 100 yards receiving on nine catches. A more surprising name in the receiving column was defensive lineman Kent Hicks, who grabbed a two-yard touchdown in the first half on a Manitoba trick play.

At pivot, Des Catellier had an excellent line of 303 yards, four touchdowns, and an interception on 32-for-39 passing.

“We love our quarterback. Des Catellier is the real deal,” said Dobie. “I think he throws a really good ball, and has a really high football IQ. But above all, his compete level is through the roof. And he channeled that in the second half, and led our offence.”

Manitoba also got a great contribution from returner Marcel Arruda-Welch, who continued his hot stretch of play with 114 yards on punt returns and 82 yards on kick returns.

Besides another game where their offence was out-paced, Alberta struggled with ill-timed penalties on Friday. While both teams struggled with flags — Manitoba had 14 for 134 yards, Alberta had 14 for 120 — the Golden Bears’ seemed costlier, as three fourth quarter flags either stalled their own drives or continued Manitoba’s.

Bison football now looks forward to next weekend, as they take on the Regina Rams in their annual Homecoming Game on Saturday, September 29 at 2 PM. Tickets are available on Ticketmaster for $17.50, while U of M students and fans 17-and-under get in free.

Saturday, Sept. 22

StFX (3-1) 36 , MTA (1-3) 26

The Mount Allison Mounties lost their Homecoming game 35-27 to the StFX X-Men at Alumni Field Saturday afternoon. A big 4th quarter by the X-Men proved to be the difference in the game.

The visiting X-Men scored the first points of the game when they picked up a single point after kicker Keiran Burnham missed on a 31 yard field goal attempt.

The Mounties got the Homecoming crowd going 10 minutes into the game.  Facing a 2nd and 6 from their own 30 yard line, the Mounties lined Malik Richards up in the wildcat formation and he took the direct snap 71 yards for the game’s first major. James Parker converted the extra point to give the Mounties a 7-1 lead.

Three minutes late the Mounties went back to work. Punter Graham Kelly recovered his own punt to give the Mounties possession at the StFX 28 yard line. One play later quarterback Troy Downton found Malik Richards in the end zone to give the Mounties a 14-1 lead.

After picking up another single point to run the lead to 15-1, the Mounties conceded a safety to leave the score at 15-3 in the 2nd quarter.

The X-Men would fine the end zone before half time as quarterback Bailey Wasdal hit David Dean for a 13 yard touchdown. This left the score 15-10 for the Mounties at halftime.

The Mounties would extend their lead in the 3rd quarter when 5th year senior Kiel Ambursley brought the crowd to its feet with a 72 yard touchdown run. The Mounties lead grew to 27-10 with 12 minute remaining in the game when freshman kicker James Parker connected from 27 yards out.

The X-Men answered quickly with a touchdown drive capped by a 1 yard run by quarterback Bailey Wasdal.  With the score now 27-17, the Mounties gave up a safety and kicked the ball back to StFX. One play later Wasdal hit Kaion Julien-Grant for a 56 yard touchdown. The X-Men converted the 2 point attempt, leaving the game tied at 27 with 7 minutes remaining.

StFX forced another safety to take a 29-27 lead and then a pair field goals by Keiran Burnham from 31 and 37 yards sealed the win for the X-Men.

Troy Downton was 21 of 30 for 185 yards on the day with 1 touchdown pass. Kiel Ambursley rushed for 146 yards on 16 carries, including his 72 yard touchdown in the 3rd quarter.  Josh Hicks had 6 catches for 67 yards for the Mounties while Malik Richards had 4 catches for 51 yards and 1 rush for his 71 yard touchdown.

Defensively, Damian Halstead was all over the field with 11 tackles and a 61 yard fumble return while senior Nate Rostek had 9.5 tackles and an interception for the Mounties.

Bailey Wasdal was 14 of 24 for 186 yards with 2 touchdowns and 1 interception for the X-Men. Running back Jordan Socholotiuk ran for 177 yards on 33 carries for the X-Men.

The Mounties now travel to Quebec to play Bishop’s next Saturday, September 29th. StFX will host Saint Mary’s on the 29th at Oland Field.

Western (4-0) 67, Waterloo (3-2) 7

The Waterloo Warriors football program is definitely on the rise, but the Western Mustangs proved once again that they’ll be the ones waiting at the summit.

The defending Vanier Cup champions and top-ranked team in the country used a lethal areal attack and a swarming defensive effort to top the Warriors 67-7 on Reunion weekend at Warrior Field on Saturday afternoon.

Western quarterback Chris Merchant put up the most impressive stat line of his career, completing 20 of 24 passes for 348 yards and 6 touchdowns – three each to receivers Cole Majoros and Brett Ellerman. Majoros led all receivers with 123 yards through the air, as eight different Mustangs caught passes from Merchant and backup Kevin John.

Meanwhile, the Mustangs defence was able to shut down the conference’s leading passer, as Waterloo pivot Tre Ford(Niagara Falls/) was held to 8-16 passing, with 130 yards, a touchdown, and an interception. Ford was able to connect with star receiver Tyler Ternowski (Hamilton/) for 4 completions and 101 yards, including a gorgeous 26-yard rainbow in the back of the endzone for Waterloo’s only major score of the day.

Western’s special teams gave their offense a series of short fields in the first quarter, and the Mustangs used an effective mix of rushing and play-action passing to jump out to a 17-0 lead before the game was 8 minutes old. The Warriors responded with an 82-yard touchdown drive – including a 47-yard pitch, catch, and run from Ford to Ternowski – to narrow the deficit to 17-7.

But the Mustangs pushed right back with touchdowns on their next two drives, sandwiching a Michael Moore interception of Ford, to make the score 31-7 after the first quarter.

The Mustangs continued to use their vaunted running attack to set up play action for Merchant, and the veteran took full advantage, stretching his team’s lead to 45-7 at the half. Late in the third quarter, Merchant gave way to Kevin John, who added a late rushing touchdown of his own.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kurtis Gray (Waterloo/) added to his team-leading tackles total with 7 more. And on what was a long day for the Warriors, quarterback Lucas McConnell (Waterford/) was a definite bright spot. The fifth-year vet and second all-time leading passer in school history was pressed into kicking duty when Caleb Girard(Waterford/) went down with an injury in the first quarter. In addition to 26 passing yards in the fourth quarter, McConnell booted four punts, handled a kickoff, and even nailed the point-after attempt on Waterloo’s lone touchdown of the day.

The Warriors (3-2) will now look to get back into the win column when they travel to face the York Lions in week 6 action. Kickoff is scheduled for 5pm at Alumni Field.

Laurier (2-2) 20 , McMaster (3-2) 21

Game Recap: Michael Grobe, McMaster Athletics
Box Score

HAMILTON (September 22, 2018) – The McMaster Marauders knocked off the No. 5 Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks 21-20, holding on in the final minutes to seal the victory on Saturday at Ron Joyce Stadium.

After giving up 16 points in the first half of the game, McMaster held Wilfrid Laurier to just four points in the second to send the Golden Hawks home to Waterloo with their second loss in as many weeks. The Marauders improved their record to 3-2, while Laurier fell to 2-2 to further complicate the OUA’s crowded standings.

The Golden Hawks lost an opportunity to take the lead and likely win the game when Nathan Mesher of Waterloo, Ont. missed a 43-yard field goal with just 52 seconds remaining. McMaster would take over and earn three first downs to run the clock out and seal the win.

In the third quarter, McMaster’s Mitch Garland of Hamilton scored what would be the game-winning touchdown, intercepting Tristan Arndt of Waterloo, Ont., for a 12-yard return and score. Defensive tackle Mitch Lyons of Saskatoon forced Arndt to make an ill-advised pass under pressure, which Garland easily returned. That gave McMaster their first lead of the game, and one they would not relinquish.

“Our defensive line created great pressure up front, he was being tackled and had to try to get it away,” said Garland on the game winning touchdown play. ” I thought [Eric Blake] was going to take it away from me, but he let me have it, and I cut it up field and the team pushed me in. I have to give them some credit, because they all helped me get in there.”

Tyler Munro of Ajax, Ont., created havoc for McMaster`s defence, registering nine total tackles with two sacks in the win.  The entire Marauder defensive plan caused fits all day for Laurier, with Ancaster`s Nate Edwards leading with eight solo tackles and four assisted while Eric Blake of Hamilton registered 10 tackles. 

“That’s what we’re about. All 12 of us are one big group.” said the sophomore Garland about what makes his defence so special “One guy might make a big play here or there, but our front four have played amazing so far, and our linebackers have been playing straight up. Our DBs, we pride ourselves on holding the fort. We play together, and when we play like we are now, nobody can beat us.”

McMaster had touchdowns in each of the first three quarters, with Jordan Lyons of Burlington, Ont., punching in a two-yard run in the first. Dylan Astrom of Peterborough, Ont., scored on a 19-yard pass from Marauders quarterback Andreas Dueck of Winnipeg in the second, and Garland had the game-winning interception in the third.

Jordan Lyons notched his fifth career 100 yard rushing game posting 117 yards in the win on 21 carriers to go along his touchdown. 

For Laurier, Leondre Gordon of Mississauga, Ont., had 119 yards on the ground, including a touchdown to open the scoring in the first quarter. Arndt tossed for a touchdown, 199 yards and an interception. 

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:Down 16-7 late in the second quarter, the Marauders drove down the field 78 yards in just under two minutes to score a major and put McMaster behind by just two points heading into the half. Astrom scored that touchdown, capping the drive on a 19-yard pass from Dueck with just 15 seconds remaining on the clock. Those points loomed large with the Laurier defence shutting out the McMaster offence in the second half.

THE RACE FOR THE PLAYOFFS: The OUA playoff race is becoming cluttered with everything up in the air and just four weeks to play. McMaster, Ottawa, Queen’s and Waterloo have three wins (three of those four teams are at 3-2) while two teams (Guelph and Laurier) are sitting just outside the playoff race with two wins. Western remains unbeaten at 4-0 while Carleton is 4-1. 


28 – the number of penalties combined between the two teams which totalled a loss of 353 yards. McMaster committed 13 infractions totalling 163 yards while Wilfrid Laurier tallied 190 yards on 15 penalties.

177 – Number of yards passed by McMaster quarterback Andreas Dueck who also had 19 yards rushing on the ground.

2:41 – Length of today’s game (2 hours and 41 minutes)

4 – The number of consecutive wins by Laurier over McMaster before today’s 21-20 win by the Marauders.

0 – Number of field goal attempts by the Marauders against the Golden Hawks

UP NEXT:Week six of the OUA football schedule will see McMaster take a break from action, as the Marauders will have a bye. Their next game will be at Ron Joyce Stadium on October 5 against the Queen’s Gaels. Kickoff for the game is set for 11:00 a.m. as McMaster University will host local Hamilton schools on “School Day”. Tickets for that game can be purchased here.

Defensive back Mitch Garland on finally getting over Laurier
“They’ve had our number, and we’ve never beaten them since I’ve been here, so this feels absolutely amazing. It’s the best feeling in the world right now.”

Garland on getting past the mistakes and the penalties:
“Our mentality is that it’s all about the next play. Things happen, and you can mess up a play or benefit from a big play, but if you’re able to shake things off and play the next one, you can’t be beat.”

McMaster Head Coach Greg Knox on the win:
“We’re a young team, and responding to adversity has been a challenge this season. I thought we did a good job of that today. We showed up to play from the opening kickoff and we battled. That’s a very positive step, to have that amount of fight in us.”

“We’re improving our execution. We’re still leaving plays on the field, and still suffering plays that have little to do with what the other teams are doing to us and are more self-inflicted. But they are getting fewer and farther between. When you’ve got a young team, you’ve got to minimize the mistakes and keep getting better every week. After a win against a good team like this one, we’re going to try to use it as a springboard.”

Knox on the upcoming bye week before meeting Queen’s on October 5
“Momentum is an interesting word, but especially when you’re dealing with young people you do have to recognize it. The bye week presents some challenges for us. We’ve got to be smart about how we get through it, but we sure do need a break. We’ve got a lot of injuries, so the timing is pretty good. I think we’ll get some kids healthy for the stretch on the offensive side, which has been a challenge for us.”

Queen’s (3-2) 33 , Guelph (2-3) 32

GUELPH, Ont. – The setting was idyllic – a beautiful Guelph afternoon, with thousands of fans and alumni descending on the University of Guelph campus for an almost perfect Homecoming experience. The Guelph Gryphon football team would provide their supporters with some incredible memories. Unfortunately, a storybook finish was agonizingly incomplete. Guelph scored 25 consecutive second-half points but fell just short in a heartbreaking 33-32 loss to the Queen’s Gaels in front a packed crowd at Alumni Stadium.

The Gryphons seemed poised to manufacture a comeback for the ages after trailing 33-7 late in the third quarter. The opportunity for a victory was there but with just 9.2 seconds left on the clock in a 33-31 game, a 32-yard field goal attempt from All-Canadian kicker Gabe Ferraro would sail just left of the uprights.

“I’m proud of the heart they showed and the effort they put in,” head coach Todd Galloway said of his players. “I just feel awful for these kids because they worked so hard for a better result.”

Fourth-year quarterback Theo Landers orchestrated the comeback attempt with the best game of his young Gryphon career. The Maple Ridge, BC native completed 26 of 35 passes for 318 yards and three second-half touchdown strikes. Landers also added a game-high 85 rushing yards and another score on the ground, a 15-yard touchdown midway through the second quarter that was much needed after Queen’s jumped out to a 14-0 lead.

On the heels of a standout halftime show by The Reklaws, the Alumni Stadium crowd was in a frenzy. Guelph came up with a big goal-line stand early in the third quarter to further ignite the supporters but the hosts were still in trouble. The Gryphons’ strong defensive unit initially had trouble controlling OUA Second-team All-star quarterback Nate Hobbs, who finished the game with 306 passing yards, a touchdown, and 42 rushing yards, with another score on the ground. The Gaels looked like they had the game sewed up when kicker Nick Liberatore hit a 20-yard field goal at 13:37 of the third quarter to put Guelph in a massive hole down 33-7.

That’s when Landers put his stamp on the game, spreading the ball around to his talented corps of receivers. It started with a perfect pass to Zeph Fraser down the left sideline, resulting in a 45-yard touchdown on the final play of the quarter. Kian Schaffer-Baker(game highs of eight catches and 130 receiving yards) then came down with a 22-yard touchdown 2:55 into the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to 33-21. Landers struck again just under five minutes later, this time finding Kade Belyk from four yards out for an incredible 33-28 scoreline midway through the quarter.

Ferraro hit a 29-yard field goal with 1:55 left on the clock to give the rabid Homecoming crowd even more belief. The final drive began on Guelph’s 52-yard line and a Belyk first down helped get the ball into Queen’s territory. The Gryphons rushed it a few times and made it down to the 25-yard line, before calling out the field goal unit on 2nd and 4 to attempt the winning kick.

Landers was understandably gutted but he loved how his team dug so deep in the second half.

“We all just looked at each other and believed,” said Landers. “We thought we could do this. We just had to go out and prove it.

“We just need to see that the whole game. I think if we do that, this thing wouldn’t have been as close as it was. We all just need to be better as a group. I’m proud of the guys to fight back in that second half.”

Galloway said the halftime talk, when Guelph was down 23-7, was all about uniting.

“That’s all we talked about, that we had to come together,” the coach said. “We made some individual plays but we needed to play like a team and I thought in the second half, we did that.”

“We put our playmakers in a position where we thought the matchups were pretty good. We took the reins off Theo because we were down. We had to open it up, throw the ball a little more to get back and this game and he stepped up. He showed that he can be a great quarterback in the OUA.”

The fans were treated to an amazing afternoon despite the loss. For many alumni, the opportunity to be back on campus was reason enough to be happy. Former Gryphon football player George Bortolato was one of them. The Burlington, ON resident was a defensive back for the Gryphons from 1988 to 1991.

“The nicest thing about today is seeing the great turnout of friends, teammates, and alumni,” Bortolato said, with his young sons Grady and Holden alongside him. “It’s awesome to see the campus and the facilities. It feels very big time and you get a real sense of pride coming back.”

While it was almost an historic day in program history, the pain of the result will have to be put aside for a Gryphon team in a dogfight for an OUA playoff spot. Guelph travels to Waterloo next week to take on the Laurier Golden Hawks Saturday afternoon at University Stadium.

“We don’t have too much time to keep our heads down about this one,” Galloway said. “We have a big game to play next week.”

Carleton (4-1) 38 , Toronto (0-4) 26

The third quarter proved to be the difference as the University of Toronto Varsity Blues football team dropped a narrow 38-26 decision to the No. 6 nationally ranked Carleton Ravens on Saturday, September 22 at Varsity Stadium.

The Blues led 19-10 at halftime, but the Ravens responded with a 16-0 third-quarter shut out to take the lead for good.


Third-year Blues quarterback Clay Sequeira went 12-for-24 for 173 yards and one touchdown.

Three sophomore receivers shone on the day. Daniel Diodati made six catches for 25 yards, while rushing once for five yards and one touchdown and making five punt returns for 128 yards, including a 99-yard return for a touchdown. Will Corby made four receptions for 95 yards, while Nolan Lovegrove hauled in three for 47 yards and his first career touchdown.

Fourth-year defensive back Damoy Robinson led all players with eight tackles, while forcing and recovering one fumble. Third-year free safey Jamal Johnson notched seven tackles in the loss.


Down 10-3 at the start of the second quarter, the Blues put on the pressure. After Carleton conceded a safety, Lovegrove capped off a seven-play, 76-yard drive with a five-yard touchdown reception, his first career major, to put the Blues ahead, 12-10.

Three minutes later, Robinson forced and recovered a fumble deep in Ravens territory to set up a five-yard rushing TD by Diodati. Toronto led 19-10 at halftime.
The Ravens used a 16-0 third quarter to complete their comeback, forcing Toronto to concede a safety, kicking one of their five field goals, and adding a two-yard rushing major and 27-yard touchdown reception to take a 26-19 lead into the fourth. After Ravens kicker Mike Domagala added two field goals, Diodati wowed the crowd with a beautiful 99-yard punt return for the touchdown with 5:56 remaining. Carleton added two more field goals to round out the scoring.

UP NEXT: The Blues travel to Windsor, Ont., next Saturday, September 29 to take on the Lancers. Kick off is set for 1 p.m.

For more information, scores and highlights on your favourite U of T athletes and teams, please visit www.varsityblues.ca. Don’t forget to follow us on TwitterInstagramSnapChat and Facebook for the latest and greatest in Varsity Blues intercollegiate athletics.

York (1-4) 16 , uOttawa (3-1) 42

The York Lions football team traveled to the nation’s capital on Saturday and dropped a hard-fought loss to the Ottawa Gee-Gee’s by a final score of 42-16. The Gee-Gee’s, who were an honourable mention in this week’s national rankings, improve their record to 3-1 on the season, while the Lions fall to 1-4 with the loss.

The Gee-Gee’s jumped out to an early led on their first drive of the game. A breakdown in coverage in the York secondary led to Gee-Gee’s quarterback Sawyer Buettner finding receiver Kalem Beaver in the open field for a 52-yard touchdown pass for the opening score of the game.

York rebounded quickly with a 32-yard field goal by kicker Dante Mastrogiuseppe on their next possession to cut into the Gee-Gee’s lead. The Lions jumped out in front later in the quarter on a solid drive led by Lions quarterback Brett Hunchak. The Lions all-time passing leader found rookie Derek Williams twice on the drive for the first two catches of his Lions career. Hunchak then completed the drive with a 16-yard touchdown pass to his brother Colton Hunchak to give the Lions a 10-7 lead.

The lead was short-lived however as a pick-six by Gee-Gee’s defensive back Jamie Harry on the Lions next possession put the Gee-Gee’s on top 14-10 at the end of the first quarter. The Gee-Gee’s defense, who were ranked third in the OUA in points per game allowed heading into the game, gave Hunchak fits in the secondary all day long as they intercepted the quarterback two more times in the first half.

The Gee-Gee’s held a 24-13 lead late in the first-half when defensive lineman Tevin McCarty provided the visiting team with a spark just before half-time. McCarty chased down Buettner in the Gee-Gee’s back-field, sacking the quarterback and recovering his own forced fumble on the play. A Mastrogiuseppe field goal in the final seconds of the half put the Lions down by one score, 24-16 at the mid-way point of the game.

Ottawa came out strong in the second-half extending their lead on a 61-yard touchdown pass to Dylan St. Pierre, followed by an unlucky interception return for a touchdown by Cody Baranyk on a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage. Linebacker Damian Jamieson did his part to keep the Lions in the game by blocking two extra point attempts in a row to keep the lead at 36-16. But the Lions weren’t able to crack the stout Ottawa defense in the second-half and the Gee-Gee’s added two more field goals in the fourth quarter to cap the score at 42-16.

Colton Hunchak had a big day for the Lions, catching 11 passes for 126 yards to go along with his touchdown catch. Lions running back Kayden Johnson also carried the ball 14 times for 52 yards, and on the defensive side of the field defensive back Kadeem Thomas led the team with six tackles. Mastrogiuseppe was three for three on field goal attempts converting kicks from 32, 19 and 24 yards.

After two straight weeks on the road the Lions will return home next weekend to take on the Waterloo Warriors at Alumni Field for their annual Homecoming game. Kick-off is set for 5pm.

Montreal (3-1) 74 , Concordia (2-2) 3

With files from: Montreal Carabins
Montreal, September 22, 2018 – The Carabins set a record for the most points scored in the same game by defeating the Stingers by 74-3 on Saturday at Concordia.

The previous record was from the 2009 season and was set in a 66-14 win against the McGill Redmen.

“I never thought it would end with that score after we left,” said head coach Danny Maciocia. When we play at our level, anything is possible. ”

As usual, the defense has contributed greatly by achieving five interceptions for 216 yards, including an impressive total of three shots for touchdowns.

In the second half, Philippe Lemieux-Cardinal (Kinesiology) was the first to reach the pay zone after running for 78 yards. From the return of the defense on the ground, it is Marc-Antoine Dequoy (Computing) who scored the major. Finally, Kerfalla Emmanuel Exumé also added six points to the board.

The three players thus shared the belt of turnovers and the sombrero given to the last player having made a touchdown, to the great pleasure of the large crowd who came to cheer on the Bleus in enemy territory. Linebacker Brian Harelimana (Arts and Sciences) and defensive back Tysen-Otis Copeland (Electrical Engineering, Polytechnique) also intercepted a pass from the opposing quarterback.

“This is my first career touchdown,” said Lemieux-Cardinal, a 6’5 “, 249-pound colossus. The last 20 yards were more difficult, but I saw that I had blocks, so I knew I was going to get there. I was so out of breath in the end zone that I could not say a word!”

Running back, Asnnel Robo, has reached the pay zone on three occasions to bring his touchdown total to six since the start of the campaign.

From the first offensive drive, the supply chain optimization student (HEC Montréal) has achieved consecutive yards of nine, 11 and 12 yards, but it is the foot of Louis-Philippe Simoneau (Health and Safety at work) who finished the sequence.

Robo finally landed two majors on the ground, including one thanks to a 77-yard run and one after a special teams trick that allowed the attack to remain on the field. His third touchdown was achieved by capturing a pass from a rod of Dimitri Morand.

“I’ve seen how Asnnel has been preparing for the entire off season and he deserves all that happens to him. I am very happy for him. It’s a man. He takes everything seriously and he works really hard, admitted Danny Maciocia. ”

“All games are won with good preparation. The game goes a lot slower when you’re well prepared, added Robo. The line to attack helps us so much! From a collective point of view, everyone can play games by working together, admitted the one who finished the match with 145 yards in eight races. ”

First-year holders Ryth-Jean Giraud (Applied Management, Police and Security) and Jean-Clifford Dazouloute (Arts and Sciences) also participated in the offensive festival by registering their first career touchdown. Giraud ended the day with two majors.

In total, the ground attack generated 366 yards of gain.

For his part, Morand completed 11 of his 21 passes for gains of 126 yards.

Louis-Philippe Simoneau has made two of his three attempts, including one over a distance of 43 yards.

The Carabins will return to action this Friday, while Sherbrooke’s Vert & Or will be at CEPSUM.

Calgary (4-0) 32 , UBC (1-3) 28

Game Recap: Jeff Sargeant (UBC Communications)
Box Score

VANCOUVER – The No. 3 Calgary Dinos outscored the UBC Thunderbirds 14-3 in the final quarter to hand the hosts a 32-28 loss in front of a 9,534-strong Homecoming crowd at Thunderbird Stadium Saturday night.

Down by four, the ‘Birds got the ball back with 1:25 left in the game when fourth-year defensive lineman Connor Griffiths recovered a Calgary fumble at the UBC 21-yard line, giving veteran quarterback Michael O’Connor enough time to complete a game winning drive. But on third and long with half a minute remaining, the ‘Birds couldn’t convert and turned over on downs to secure Calgary’s fourth straight win to start the season.

“The point is we were outplayed in the second half, we gave up a big play on broken coverage and took some penalties that hurt us, they keep hurting us,” said UBC head coach Blake Nill. “These guys got to realize you can’t win football games when you can’t play with discipline.”

The T-Birds racked up 137 yards in penalties compared to Calgary’s 63.

The Dinos (4-0) threatened on their first possession of the game as reigning Canada West offensive player of the week Adam Sinagra looked for Jalen Philpot in the end zone but a brilliant swatting effort by Malcom Lee thwarted what would have been a touchdown catch, holding the visitors to a field goal.

Lee was a beast on defence for the ‘Birds finishing the game with five total broken up passes.

Malcom Lee had one of his best games as a member of UBC,” praised Nill. “He was locked up on a tough kid and they threw a lot of deep routes at him.”

The T-Birds (1-3) were quick to respond on the ensuing possession as it took O’Connor seven plays and just over three minutes to put UBC back in front with their first major score, a 43-yard catch and run touchdown pass to Marcus Brownefor the second-year receiver’s first TD as a Thunderbird.

UBC kicker Greg Hutchins and Calgary’s Nico Di Fonte traded field goals later in the quarter as the home side took a four-point lead into the second frame.

After Lee broke up two sure fire Sinagra touchdown passes in the first quarter, UBC’s secondary continued to get the job done in the second with Jean Ventose denying another deep ball attempt that led to a third straight Calgary punt.

The ‘Birds got the ball back yet again with just under two minutes remaining in the first half. O’Connor called his own number to scamper for a first down and after getting inside Calgary territory, the veteran pivot looked for one of his favourite targets downfield, connecting with Trivel Pinto who carried a defender on his back into the end zone. Hutchins’ successful convert gave the ‘Birds a 17-8 advantage.

Both teams’ defences came to play in the third quarter but Calgary got back within a single score thanks to a 41-yard Di Fonte field goal with six-and-a-half minutes left in the frame.

On UBC’s ensuing possession, O’Connor looked downfield on second down looking for Pinto but was picked off by second-year defensive back Matthew Lucyshyn who returned it to UBC’s own 54-yard line. Helped by T-Bird penalties, the ball ended up on the 24 and on the next play Robinson Rodrigues rushed all the way into the end zone as the Dinos re-took the lead, 18-17.

The T-Birds were forced to punt on their next possession but on second-and-long for the Dinos, Sinagra was picked off by Stavros Katsantonis at UBC’s 43-yard line and ran it all the way back for a 67-yard pick six. Pinto caught the two-point conversion pass from O’Connor to put the ‘Birds back in front, 25-18.

After Hutchins knocked through a 12-yard chip shot, Sinagra responded with a 35-yard touchdown pass to Tyson Philpot, cutting UBC’s lead to three points still with half a quarter to play.

UBC’s offence, however, began to stall and was unable to find the end zone again.

With 4:10 left, Sinagra found Alex Basilis for a 10-yard touchdown that put the Dinos ahead for good.

Sinagra finished the game 24-for-41 for 327 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. O’Connor also threw two majors and a pick going 26-for-40 for 331 yards.

Pinto led all receivers with 163 yards, his second consecutive 100-plus yard game. Calgary was led by Hunter Karl’s 101 yards receiving while Rodrigues won the rushing battle with 82 yards on 16 carries. Ben Cummings finished the game with 61 yards on the ground for the T-Birds.

Suffering three consecutive losses for the first time in two seasons, the T-Birds visit the Alberta Golden Bears (0-4) next Friday, September 28th.

“We’re going to have to win a game on the road and we’re going to have to grow up and play with more discipline, play like we did in the first half tonight,” added Nill. “Ultimately, you got to finish and we just aren’t finishing.”

The undefeated Dinos are back home at McMahon Stadium hosting the Saskatchewan Huskies (3-1) Saturday night.

Sunday, Sept. 23

McGill (1-3) 7 , Laval (4-0) 53

Game Recap: Laval Rouge et Or

The Rouge et Or made just a quick bite of the McGill Redmen on Sunday afternoon at TELUS-UL Stadium. Glen Constantin’s men won by 53-7 in front of 12,398 spectators.

Match History
In advance of the first quartergoal of4-0, the Rouge et Or added seven points when quarterback Hugo Richard joined Vincent Breton-Robert (11 yards) in the end zone. Richard concluded the first quarter by crossing the goals line with the top spot at 18-0.

David Côté started the second quarter with a 15-yard lead giving Laval a 21-0 lead. In the middle of the commitment, Alexandre Savard captured a 33-yard pass from Richard in the pay zone. At this point, the score was 28-0. The touchdowns of Alexandre Savard (seven yards) and Jonathan Breton-Robert (23 yards) then allowed the Rouge et Or to retreat to the locker room with a priority of 42-0.

The only touchdown in the third quarter belongs to Mathieu Robitaille (89-yard pass and run), the Rouge et Or. The Redmen have blacked the score sheet with less than two minutes remaining in the game.

Match Statistics
With this win, the 169th in his career, Constantin joined Larry Haylor (Western Ontario / 1984-2006) in second place in U SPORTS history (regular season and playoffs included).

Mathieu Betts , with his two bags, joined Jim Aru, Queen’s Golden Gaels (1994-1998) at the RSEQ career bag summit (31.5).

As for Hugo Richard, he passed Mathieu Bertrand in fourth place in the RSEQ for the touchdown passes with 59. He started the game by completing his first 16 passes.

What they said
“We were expecting better opposition, but the Redmen are young and have a lot of injuries. Overall, we have made good progress. What I liked most, it is not the big games, but rather the sustained thrusts. On the attack, it’s more to score after gains of seven-eight yards and not in favor of a long pass. Defensively, I particularly appreciated our character. The guys have responded well. ”

-Glen Constantin, Head Coach

Soon: Saturday, September 29, 2 pm
Adversary: ​​Concordia Stingers
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Source: usports.ca

Advocating for football prospects one story at a time.

Comments are closed.

Loading cart ...